More Hip Than Hippie #253 - Snowmageddon
A succession of powerful winter storms pounding most of the US this month has been dubbed, among other things, Snowmageddon.
The sun is shining at More Hip HQ in Chico, but winter has a tight grip on much of the country. The Hipsters check in with snowbound blogger Robin Shreeves to find out how she and her family are coping in the winter wonderland of New Jersey, then get a lesson in climate change from Jon Stewart. Also, Dori and Val mark a More Hip milestone!
Beer and Chocolate:
Beer: In honor of the Super Bowl Champion New Orleans Saints, we try a little brew from the Bayou: Abita Beer's Turbodog Brown Ale. Another reason for Louisiana to be proud.
Chocolate: Our new Favorite Listener is Tony in Chicago, who shared the Chocolove for Valentine's Day. It even came with a love poem.
Hip News and Finds
- Green on the go. Everything about the Green Silence running shoe from Brooks has an element of sustainability. Recycled materials, water-based adhesives and non-toxic dyes keep you on the right track!
- A new leaf. Looks like Europeans can agree on something! In an online vote, they chose the Euro-leaf as the new logo for organic foods produced in the EU. It must be placed on all their pre-packaged organic food after July 1.
Teenie Weenie Greenie™
When it's time to replace that worn-out bra, give it a new life...as a bird feeder! Fill the cups with seeds and drape it over a tree branch. Snowmageddon
South Jersey resident and Mother Nature Network blogger Robin Shreeves has used her weather-related captivity to cook, read, make crafts, play board games and organize photos. And shovel snow.
- Eat. Robin's informal poll of frostbitten friends revealed a spike in the consumption of chocolate chip cookies.
- Drink. Wine is the beverage of choice because it won't go bad when the power's out, nor does it require chilling. Plus, as Robin found, you can't make beef bourguinon without it.
- Read. Robin loved Julia Child's My Life In France; Val recommends Seth Godin's Linchpin; Dori enjoyed Joanne Harris's follow-up to Chocolat, The Girl With No Shadow.
Write a new Hip News theme song and win a Greenfeet prize pack! Send in mp3's plus your questions and compliments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our new blog! And remember to post articles, links and love poems at our MHTH forum!
- Katie in Toronto (eh!) takes reusable Envirosax when she goes shopping. She also discovered TerraCycle's fun products and brilliant fundraising program.
- Mike in Oakland shares a story about Bill Gates funding GMO research. Nope, Bill is no Hipster.
- Michele in Arizona is wearing 4-year old undies, because she washes them in cold water and hangs them to dry. She also has good ideas for your old shower curtains.
- Kamille in California sent a story about Brita filters being recycled by Preserve Products. Blogger Beth Terry should be pleased.
- Patrick in NC found t-shirts recycled into custom laptop sleeves, for a good cause.
- Cynthia in Los Angeles discovered the only non-profit stop-junk-mail organization, 41pounds.
- Whitney in Texas sent us a simple recipe for pumpkin soup. Can Val eat it with her spoon earrings?
Show the world you're More Hip Than Hippie! Grab some merch for Washington's Birthday or anyday!
Twitter goes green on #EcoMonday! Follow us on Twitter: GrnDiva, MoreHipDori and JRich9 at your service! Add us to your friends on Facebook and MySpace!
Remember to vote for us at Podcast Alley, and leave a glowing review at iTunes!
More Hip Than Hippie is sponsored by Greenfeet.com.